The Art of Destroying...

21 February 2010


A rather startling statement was made the other day by an associate of mine with whom I happened to travel: “I wish all the tigers would die!”

This was in reaction to a discussion that centered around the fact that there were only 1500 tigers left in India out of the 40 thousand that existed at the turn of the century. The main cause: poaching.

I turned around and asked her why. To which she answered: “Because I don’t like them. They are man-eaters. They kill other animals.”

This, from a 27 year old came as a surprise to me. But then I surmised…she was not very different from the common person who thought the best way to deal with anything that posed a threat, even in the remotest area of one's mind, was to kill it.

Firstly, her reasoning is faulty. Tigers are predators, meant to kill. Going by this logic, should we exterminate all carnivores in the animal kingdom? Well, then, we must kill ourselves, too. We are the worst threat to earth and everything on it, after all! Secondly, the statement, ‘because I don’t like them…” reeks of extreme self-indulgence. Very human, what!

Must we really think we are the centre of the universe? This thought alone is responsible for our sorry state…even in everyday life.

The end of the road trip left me wondering…what are we? My liking or disliking a thing doesn’t make it right or wrong. Or does it?

Is mankind really that great, having destroyed and survived off that single thought…because I….

The art of destroying is unique to human beings.




12 Comments, Opinions & What Have you!:

Anonymous 2/22/2010  

Perfect!Great! This helped so much! I've seen a few
rather confusing websites lately, this cleared up a lot confusion I had.

S 2/22/2010  

A completely different take on this issue .. Hope it reaches the minds of those uniquely humans .. Sadly, even if we had one tiger left, this could have served to the killers as a statistic to find out where the 'one' is left !!

Here after really long, how have you been ? :)

take care
Sourav .. in love with me and life!! :)

BardSpeaks 2/23/2010  

@Sourav: You bet they'd do that! I'm good now, thanks!

scarlet pimpernel 3/09/2010  

Please if you mail me the persons postal address to scarlettpimpernnel@gmail.com i shall send a copy of Man-eaters of Kumaon

M D 3/09/2010  

Absolutely true! Well written. This should surely reach out to those insane minds who find tigers a burden on earth!

GSai 4/05/2010  

such callous and un-educated (what else can you say?) attitudes will soon set us alongside dinosaurs. i wonder, who will look at human fossils and say "they once roamed this planet"?

GSai 4/05/2010  

such callous and un-educated (what else can you say?) attitudes will soon set us alongside dinosaurs. i wonder, who will look at human fossils and say "they once roamed this planet"?

Free-Fallin' 4/26/2010  

boy, you sure have some dumb people working in you office....

Unknown 10/04/2010  

Humans aren't the only ones to roam the earth. God's creatures , big and small do too. We do enough killing of humans ourselves. So let us start and take a hard look at ourselves first.

Anonymous 12/17/2010  

You'll want to add a facebook button to your blog. I just bookmarked this article, although I had to complete it manually. Simply my $.02 :)

- Robson

Anonymous 4/30/2011  

Lots of excellent reading here, thank you! I had been checking on yahoo when I identified your publish, I’m going to add your feed to Google Reader, I look forward to a lot more from you.

Anonymous 8/19/2011  

You pretty much said what i could not effectively communicate. +1

My site:
dsl vergleich berlin und dsl vergleich anbieter

PageRank

My Google Pagerank

Google AdSense

  © Free Blogger Templates Columnus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP